Wednesday, September 21, 2005

My Birth - Chapter Six

Soon after all the craziness of the birth was over I finally got to get a good look at Lucy though she was still in the incubator. As I stared at her in wonder of how beautiful she was I soon thought to myself that Lucy had downs. But what did I know, this was the first time I ever saw a baby that was five minutes old? Nobody said anything to me, so I wasn’t going to be the dad who asked if his baby had down syndrome.
We had a lot of family out in the waiting room so I went out and did the dad job of telling everybody that we had a girl. Since the nurses said they wanted to clean some stuff up first before I brought everybody back I told them we would get them into see her as soon as possible.
The nurses took forever to get everything cleaned up and they kept telling us that our family had to wait just a bit longer before coming back. Finally one of the nurses came in and told us that they thought Lucy had down syndrome. While being one of the greatest nights of our lives, it also began to be one of the hardest nights of our lives.

No comments: