Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Kindergarten News

Last week I got a call from Lucy's teacher. She just wanted to let me know that Lucy was going to be switching reading groups. In Lucy's school they level their books with letters and they want kids to be at level C when they enter 1st grade. The teacher told me that they got some new students and that she gave Lucy the level B test and that she did well enough to move to level C. Lucy was ready to move on to level C!!
In moments like these I think back to the day of her birth and all of the fears I had about her disabilities. I wish I could go back and tell myself to not fear and that her abilities will far surpass any box I tried to put her in.



In other news, I got a phone call today from the special education teacher asking if we could switch Lucy's intervention time form morning to afternoon. (1/2 day kindergarten but she stays all day) In Lucy's IEP it states, "Lucy will attend all-day kindergarten. She will be fully included in the morning kindergarten session. Therapies and/or any intervention where it is necessary for her to leave the classroom will occur in the afternoon."
There has been a schedule change and they need to switch things for Lucy. They want to pull her out of class for a 1/2 hour of intervention in the morning. There doesn't seem to be any other option for the teacher. It's our first time in making the choice between learning "skills" and being fully included. There are pros and cons to both. This is a math intervention. Reading is definitely her strength. I really needed time to weigh the options but they needed to know today.
Since the answer had to come today we decided to keep things they way they are. This will change up what she does and who she works with in the afternoon but I hope it shows how we are committed to her being included.

3 comments:

mommajelly said...

Good for you Mandy :) And good for Lucy too!

Jessica McMillan said...

Lucy is awesome I agree with you there. But you have continued to push her, drive to her therapy, question doctors, and not let anything stand in her way. You and Kevin have laid a road for her that will lead her to be as successful as she wants to be. I am proud to be her aunt, but even more proud that you are my sister.

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Lucy-girl! Grammy is so proud of you and so grateful that your Mom and Dad have continued to pursue the best course for you. You are amazing sweet girl! Grammy and Grandpa can't wait to see you this weekend.

Love you,
Grammy